Archive for AudiSRS.com The place for Performance Audi
 


       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S6 & RS 6 (C5) quattro
michaelk3289

2003 Audi RS6 Avant Engine issue

Hello All

i recently became the proud owner of a 2003 Audi Rs6 Avant in Mugello Blue with black leather

i have been after one of these cars for many many years

ive spoke to Audi specialists who all advised against buying one and said they were a major headache (so is my wife, didint stop me marrying her!!!!)

anyway despite knowing they were costly to run and problematic, i had to have one, so i bit the bullet and bought one

made sure it had full service history, cam belts every 4 years and gearbox services, coil overs etc etc, as much as you can really.

everything seemed to work, reasonable mileage 103,000 for a 13 year old car

body has some small scratches and stone chips but all age related really

i have owned the car for about 1 month and enjoyed it immensely ive had the cam belt changed as it was due

the car has behaved beautifully in the last 4 weeks until yesterday when i was driving and noticed the car was stuttering under moderate acceleration, i was simply pulling away from some lights and gave it a little (i love that noise when the car is under moderate acceleration and its working but not screaming) wonderful rumble

anyway i pulled away from the lights,  put my foot down a little and it stuttered,

i instantly thought the engine wasnt breathing right and thought TURBOS

interestingly the interior blowers now speed upn with the car acceleration, something that defo did not happen before this symptom started this weekend

no warning lights and not in limp mode etc etc, when driving at normal road speeds (30 MPH) its fine when you push it it stutters.

i have parked the car up and wont be driving it until i have some idea of what it is

i think i may know the cause of the problem

i was driving down a motorway on Thursday when a 2016 BMW started to show signs of  threatening driving, clearly i feared for my life and had to try to escape him

he didnt do a bad job of keeping up in his 335d

however its not been the same since and i guess this is the cause of my probelm

any ideas,

many thanks

Michael
pjbRs

You need to get it to someone who can scan it with vag com, that's your first step. Maybe a helpful local member could help?
Sounds like either a coil pack or sensor, but a scan for fault codes will give you a better idea.
michaelk3289

thanks for the info

I know someone with Vag will get it checked
Noggymike

michaelk3289 wrote:
thanks for the info

I know someone with Vag will get it checked


That will spill the beans
IchBautAuto

Could be as simple as spark plugs
bboy82

Or a boost leak.
michaelk3289

Re: 2003 Audi RS6 Avant Engine issue

michaelk3289 wrote:


interestingly the interior blowers now speed upn with the car acceleration, something that defo did not happen before this symptom started this weekend



thanks for all your feedback and all your suggestions on the fault,

I'm no mechanic and will get the car to a garage asap to see what the issue is, however i thought i should highlight the part of my text showing a symptom which has started since the stuttering has happened

im not sure how this could be linked to a coil pack (my friend had a coil pack issue on a 2007 S3) and yes it stuttered under load but his blowers didnt speed up at the same time

likewise for spark plugs yes i appreciate these my cause rough running but would they effect the blowers in a way that they speed up when i accelerate?

thanks again guys

will revert with the findings from the Vag scan

regards
michaelk3289

Re: 2003 Audi RS6 Avant Engine issue

michaelk3289 wrote:
michaelk3289 wrote:


interestingly the interior blowers now speed upn with the car acceleration, something that defo did not happen before this symptom started this weekend



thanks for all your feedback and all your suggestions on the fault,

I'm no mechanic and will get the car to a garage asap to see what the issue is, however i thought i should highlight the part of my text showing a symptom which has started since the stuttering has happened

im not sure how this could be linked to a coil pack (my friend had a coil pack issue on a 2007 S3) and yes it stuttered under load but his blowers didnt speed up at the same time

likewise for spark plugs yes i appreciate these my cause rough running but would they effect the blowers in a way that they speed up when i accelerate?

thanks again guys

will revert with the findings from the Vag scan

regards



any ideas or thoughts on the above?

struggling to find the time to get it scanned, trying to find a mobile guy as really dont want to drive it

regards
C J

Where are you based? There might be someone local to you with vcds.
michaelk3289

thanks for your reply

I'm based in south east london se9
gtwibell

When you say blowers speeding up are you meaning the heating and A/C fans inside the car?

If so, you sure you're not hearing a massive boost leak instead? I popped an intercooler hose off once and inside the car it sounded like someone vacuuming the carpets until I twigged what was happening. No warning lights at all.

In a few seconds I managed to knack a turbo through it overspeeding. A salutary (and expensive) lesson.
michaelk3289

gtwibell wrote:
When you say blowers speeding up are you meaning the heating and A/C fans inside the car?

If so, you sure you're not hearing a massive boost leak instead? I popped an intercooler hose off once and inside the car it sounded like someone vacuuming the carpets until I twigged what was happening. No warning lights at all.

In a few seconds I managed to knack a turbo through it overspeeding. A salutary (and expensive) lesson.


this sounds like it may be exactly that

yes its the blowers in the car and yes I'm guessing it could be that again no warning lights etc etc

thats exactly what i dont want to do
Nobby

Turn your fans off (press speed to down until the HVAC goes off) and see if you still have the same noises.

If it was a big hose thats come off then you might be able to see them. 2 at the top of the intercoolers are visible from above just by opening the bonnet. 2 lower ones you'd need to remove the undertray.
michaelk3289

Nobby wrote:
Turn your fans off (press speed to down until the HVAC goes off) and see if you still have the same noises.

If it was a big hose thats come off then you might be able to see them. 2 at the top of the intercoolers are visible from above just by opening the bonnet. 2 lower ones you'd need to remove the undertray.




HI Nobby

i have looked at what i believe to be the intercooler pipes on the front, one of them has come away and the jubilee clip is loose, i dont seem to be able to access by hand without removing some parts
pjbRs

Sounds like you found the problem. Definitely don't drive the car till you fix the boost leak unless you want to say goodbye to both turbos.
gtwibell

michaelk3289 wrote:
i have looked at what i believe to be the intercooler pipes on the front, one of them has come away and the jubilee clip is loose


Exactly what happened to me. Hope you managed to catch it in time to save the turbo(s).
michaelk3289

pjbRs wrote:
Sounds like you found the problem. Definitely don't drive the car till you fix the boost leak unless you want to say goodbye to both turbos.


yep i think i have found the problem

i have just spent about 15 mins taking the skin of my hands and knuckles

looks like i have got the inter cooler pipe back on and the jubilee clip tightened (hopefully enough to keep it on and not too much to cause any damage) ive run the engine on my driveway and no sign of the blowers/heaters inside the car speeding up with revs/engine speed

will take for a very short run later on and hope i have fixed it
pjbRs

It's pretty common, if it comes off again give both surfaces a clean and spray them with hairspray before fitting and tightening, it definitely won't come off then.
gtwibell

This is what happened to my N/S turbo in the few seconds after the hose popped off and I realised what was going on

Not fatal and once the hose was back I drove another 10,000 miles or so before getting both turbos rebuilt.

IanH755

Holy Poop!
michaelk3289

gtwibell wrote:
This is what happened to my N/S turbo in the few seconds after the hose popped off and I realised what was going on

Not fatal and once the hose was back I drove another 10,000 miles or so before getting both turbos rebuilt.



that sure looks pretty serious and fatal, glad you were able to get some mileage out of it before having them sorted

i wouldn't have had the bottle to drive it like that

ive driven the car several times over the weekend and its seems fine

started by driving very slowly and built up the speed, given it a few blasts and so far so good.

spoke to my mechanic and he said no damage will be done, however replies in this post have made me question that and im not sure how he can guarantee that, infact im pretty sure that i will have done some damage even if not Fatal

the car has some niggles and i would like the gearbox looked at with fresh oil and filters etc as im not that confident that the last owner (who said he had it done actually did) its in the book but he lied about a couple of other things so why not this aswell

luckily i got it cheap enough to allow for some money to be spent on it

cam belt, aux belt, thermostat and water pump just changed

think i will send my turbos to Midland Turbos as they seem pretty good and have been quick to respond with a couple of options

i have a gearbox place near me in Dartford, UK

the car seems to have a on board computer problem, will make a new post for that

thanks for everyone's help with this
michaelk3289

Hello All

great news on my engine and turbos etc

sent it in to TC garage in Crawley, they ran loads of test etc and cam back with a bunch of figures, all good

will post figures when i get the info on the invoice

regards
       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S6 & RS 6 (C5) quattro
Page 1 of 1