Archive for AudiSRS.com The place for Performance Audi
 


       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S8 (D2, D3 & D4) quattro
Skaala

Engine in the S8 V10 blew up

Engine in the S8 blew up on saturday cruising on the motorway at 100km/h, there is a piston on its way out on one side, and a conrod on the other. No warning lights at all, just went boom and died.

Short spec: 2007 S8 V10, 120.000km. Extremely well maintained and serviced every 10-15.000km.

here's my dilemma. Audi Norway wants nothing to do with it, since they did not import it, and its more than 5 years old. They offer a new shortblock at 40k incl. work!! But we dont know what stress was put on the heads, cams and transmission when it happened. They may fail also shortly on the new block?

Audi in Flensburg is checking for me, if this is something Audi Ingolstadt can fix together with quattro GmbH and do it under warranty. Even if the car is out of normal warranty, the damage that happened out of the blue was so serious that they are checking.

Audi flensburg has replaced the V10 from an S6 before, and the bill came to 28k for the shortblock. (this was not a warranty issue....think it was tuning related)

If all fails, I found this workshop outside cologne which has an slightly used S8 engine in stock for 8.500,- incl work:http://motorenprofihaas.de/en/audi-s8-5-2-fsi-v10-bsm-motor-450-ps-2007-54-300-km.html


There has been 2 S8's for sale in norway where it was mentioned that the engine had been replaced under warraty. Anyone head of this problem with the V10's before??? Any help or comments are highly appreciated.
Matt_D

Wow 40k euros for a half a new engine
brasiliangringo

Speak to A8 parts they may be able to supply you a new engine or assist..

http://www.prestigemotorservices.co.uk/
Parptoot

Re: Engine in the S8 V10 blew up

Skaala wrote:
If all fails, I found this workshop outside cologne which has an slightly used S8 engine in stock for 8.500,- incl work:http://motorenprofihaas.de/en/audi-s8-5-2-fsi-v10-bsm-motor-450-ps-2007-54-300-km.html
.


If it's any help this is the place I got my replacement engine from for my B6 S4 and it was a relatively smooth operation to get it shipped over.
barryrs

There is a v10 engine from an S6 on eBay at the mo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S6...rParts_SM&hash=item2317903d81
ski

I know this may not help but i had a major engine failure with a Mitsubishi Evo a few years back as yours full, service history and un modified in the end Mitsubishi UK agree to pay half the cost under a good wil scheme no prestige brand wants poor publicity i hope you get it sorted
brasiliangringo

The Porsche non turbos from 996s - early 997s can suffer IMS failure and another fault which = new engine. Unfortunately Porsche are not bothered outside of warranty and have never acknowledged this engineering weakness or made much attempt to console customers who bought outside of the franchise, arrogant as they are. 996 is circa 10k for a new engine.
think_or_thwim

brasiliangringo wrote:
The Porsche non turbos from 996s - early 997s can suffer IMS failure and another fault which = new engine. Unfortunately Porsche are not bothered outside of warranty and have never acknowledged this engineering weakness or made much attempt to console customers who bought outside of the franchise, arrogant as they are. 996 is circa 10k for a new engine.


Better had now, seeing as they have been bought out by VAG!  Less of that "dont give a fcuk attitude please Porker"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5baa968...a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz20LMTs6Tk
S4Max

Thats tough luck mate, feel sorry for you.
Moonwalker

Porsche will help, from my experience. Car owned from brand new, 6 years on with 21k miles on it the rear main oil seal failed and it needed a new engine, in the end they went 100% on parts and 50/50 on labour. Had to pester them and not leave service dept though.
juwon30

engine bsm

hi...


were you able to fix this problem in the very end...?

is the car running?
monkeyrs6

Moonwalker wrote:
Porsche will help, from my experience. Car owned from brand new, 6 years on with 21k miles on it the rear main oil seal failed and it needed a new engine, in the end they went 100% on parts and 50/50 on labour. Had to pester them and not leave service dept though.
Porsche can be ok as long as car is bog standard, even fitting a different brand of battery or different tyres they get there knickers in a twist.
       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S8 (D2, D3 & D4) quattro
Page 1 of 1