Archive for AudiSRS.com The place for Performance Audi
 


       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S4, S5, RS 5, RS 4 (B8) quattro
Audis4b8

It's happened.....now owner of a S4 B8 Avant

Hi

As per title I've bought the S4 B8 I went look at today and what a car it really is!

Couple of questions I have, if anyone can help out....

1. How do you change the read out to measure mpg, it appears to be measuring per litre at the min....
2. Is there anyway of checking the oil temperature in the menu ?
3. The sunroof whistles a bit when doing 70, is this a common fault if so is there a quick fix ?

I'm sure I will have a few more questions as the days go by.

The drive home was 270 miles so I've had chance to get to grips with her and what an absolute car, nice and quite and under the radar but use ur right foot a little and it just awakens the beast.... Quality !
Adrian E

Nice one - pics are compulsory

Ref your questions, there's an MMI option to change units from metric to imperial which defo alters the centre dash speed readout. Not sure it alters the fuel consumption units but I'd start there

2 don't know

3 does the tall wind deflector lift fully with the roof open? It comes up a long way and should reduce buffeting. It's a bit panel on the avant so may not be noise free. I've not been driven at speed in an avant with the roof open. Our s5 sunroof is very quiet but it's 1/4 the size!
u22mjd

You can change the units ie mph, litres etc by pressing car then settings on MMI buttons. As for oil temp on MMI no and as for sunroof no idea as don't have one. But welcome to the club and get pics up 😉
buzzard

Hi mate and welcome to B8 ownership

For mpg, press car and then setup button  then top left settings buttons
2nd down is measurement units- it's all n there

Oil temp is a vagcom setting not standard option and I need to do this too
Not sure on the sunroof as I don't have one...
Audis4b8

Thanks for all the replies chaps 👍

Friendly place in here, I will see if I can find the units option so I can see the mpg not that it really matters but it would at least give me some indication to what mpg I'm getting.

Vagcom.....I read a lot about this but not sure exactly what it is... Is it a reader or software program that plugs into the car ?

Rich
u22mjd

Vagcom mate is the VAG software used to access the ecu read error codes etc  it's a software program run from a laptop that you connect to the OBD port. Google Rosstech the manufacturer
xpower

http://www.vcdscoding.com/#!a4/c8ps for some VCDS settings

http://www.caristaapp.com/supported-vehicles/#audi an alternative to VCDS with alot of features for the price
Adrian E

Vagcom is now known as VCDS and is sold by Ross-tech in the USA but they have an official uk supplier as well

Details here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

I used to have a clone version but now have genuine. For the money it's well worth having if you plan to keep the car a while and are interested in doing any bits yourself

Have you got HDD nav? If so it can be updated
calibra_se8

Love to see some pictures

The oil temp can be unlocked along with a lap timer using VCDS to access the hidden menu in the satnav.

AdrianE, do tell
Adrian E

calibra_se8 wrote:
AdrianE, do tell


There's a sticky thread on the a5oc with info - it's perfectly feasible to DIY on a pre-facelift

Firmware and maps are the same for both models
Audis4b8

Hi

Thanks for clearing up the vagcom question, I've so so much to learn with these cars.
I've looked under car set up and ye you can change from imperial to metric etc but looking the the menu there just isn't a average mpg option so it may not be spec'd up to do this, I'm guessing is it under tech pack "high" ? I think there's only a few things it doesn't have and I'm guessing it's within the "high" package that I don't have. It doesn't have heated seats or the duke box/card reader either.
Is it usual for them to run hot ? That's why I was asking about the oil temp.
The water temp never goes above 90 but after a good rattle it does smell a bit oily as in the engine has got quite hot, obviously it's got hot but is that usual ?
It's a new car to me so it will have all types of quirks I don't know about.
Ive moved from a scoob and I must say when that been rattled a little that is send to smell a little oily so I'm guessing it's due to just a hot engine.

I will get some pix up in the next few days it been raining like mad where I live for the last couple of days.

Rich
quattrokhan5

Congrats on your new purchase, sounds like a well equipped S4  
Audis4b8

Adrian E wrote:
calibra_se8 wrote:
AdrianE, do tell


There's a sticky thread on the a5oc with info - it's perfectly feasible to DIY on a pre-facelift

Firmware and maps are the same for both models


I need to know more..... 👍 Something I can do u say ?
calibra_se8

Audis4b8 wrote:
Hi

Thanks for clearing up the vagcom question, I've so so much to learn with these cars.
I've looked under car set up and ye you can change from imperial to metric etc but looking the the menu there just isn't a average mpg option so it may not be spec'd up to do this, I'm guessing is it under tech pack "high" ? I think there's only a few things it doesn't have and I'm guessing it's within the "high" package that I don't have. It doesn't have heated seats or the duke box/card reader either.
Is it usual for them to run hot ? That's why I was asking about the oil temp.
The water temp never goes above 90 but after a good rattle it does smell a bit oily as in the engine has got quite hot, obviously it's got hot but is that usual ?
It's a new car to me so it will have all types of quirks I don't know about.
Ive moved from a scoob and I must say when that been rattled a little that is send to smell a little oily so I'm guessing it's due to just a hot engine.

I will get some pix up in the next few days it been raining like mad where I live for the last couple of days.

Rich


On the end of the wiper stalk you can switch which reading you view in the DIS, miles left, current and average MPG etc.

Also the small button on the bottom of the wiper stalk should change your DIS display through various different options. Have a play and let us know how you get on.

The engines do get very hot after a thrash, i had a leaking cam cover gasket and got this smell, not a big job to put right if this is your issue.
Dippy

Lap-timer with oil temp is enabled in module 17 (instruments) with a coding 07 operation to set bit 3 of byte 1.
Audis4b8

calibra_se8 wrote:
Audis4b8 wrote:
Hi

Thanks for clearing up the vagcom question, I've so so much to learn with these cars.
I've looked under car set up and ye you can change from imperial to metric etc but looking the the menu there just isn't a average mpg option so it may not be spec'd up to do this, I'm guessing is it under tech pack "high" ? I think there's only a few things it doesn't have and I'm guessing it's within the "high" package that I don't have. It doesn't have heated seats or the duke box/card reader either.
Is it usual for them to run hot ? That's why I was asking about the oil temp.
The water temp never goes above 90 but after a good rattle it does smell a bit oily as in the engine has got quite hot, obviously it's got hot but is that usual ?
It's a new car to me so it will have all types of quirks I don't know about.
Ive moved from a scoob and I must say when that been rattled a little that is send to smell a little oily so I'm guessing it's due to just a hot engine.

I will get some pix up in the next few days it been raining like mad where I live for the last couple of days.

Rich


On the end of the wiper stalk you can switch which reading you view in the DIS, miles left, current and average MPG etc.

Also the small button on the bottom of the wiper stalk should change your DIS display through various different options. Have a play and let us know how you get on.

The engines do get very hot after a thrash, i had a leaking cam cover gasket and got this smell, not a big job to put right if this is your issue.


Hi

Thanks for reply and to everyone else too.

I've used the wiper stalk to flick through display, but mpg isn't there at all. I think from memory there is miles left,average speed,miles driven, reading 1 and 2 for the above but just not mpg, I will get some pix up at some point. It does seem to read something in litres per mile but I've checked the menu in car set up and it's set for mpg so I'm just not sure what the issue is or how to change it, it's driving me crazy lol
Re oil smell, it just when the engine is hot, the fans come on as they should and it never goes over 90 on water temp so all is good just the burnt oil smell isn't good when it's been for a tickle.

Rich
Adrian E

I think that's the load from the air con on the engine. Have you found the button under the right stalk? Pressing that enables a different set of menus to scroll through

Anyone interested in how you do nav updates can pm me for a link - I won't post it on the forum
Audis4b8

Adrian E wrote:
I think that's the load from the air con on the engine. Have you found the button under the right stalk? Pressing that enables a different set of menus to scroll through

Anyone interested in how you do nav updates can pm me for a link - I won't post it on the forum


Hi

Ye I've found the button under the the right stalk if u press and hold it it resets the option your on or u can just tap it and it then changes the display on the dials.....
I've seen something on YouTube and it says something about changing some settings for n the "hidden" engineers menu. By pressing and holding car and set up button it brings up this menu and you can do it in there ? Not had chance to look at this yet mind ?

Rich
Adrian E

Yeah, press and release the button under the stalk and then scroll through the different options.  We have ours set to the mph digital readout mostly, which automatically changes to mini nav display if we're using the nav.  Have range underneath.  The rest of the options seem fairly pointless to me.....
Adrian E

Looked today when I was out in ours - on the MMI press 'car' then 'instrument cluster' and under that heading are 2 options for the option 1 and 2 on the DIS.

You can then select which functions show under each heading
Audis4b8

Adrian E wrote:
Looked today when I was out in ours - on the MMI press 'car' then 'instrument cluster' and under that heading are 2 options for the option 1 and 2 on the DIS.

You can then select which functions show under each heading


I've given up on getting the mpg option up, it's just not there 😫

It's in for a check at Audi on Tuesday so will ask about it then.

Rich
Graham

Possible coding issue after a battery change maybe. Is it definitely a UK car and not an import? Even if so I bet nothing that can't be coded.
Audis4b8

Graham wrote:
Possible coding issue after a battery change maybe. Is it definitely a UK car and not an import? Even if so I bet nothing that can't be coded.


Hi Graham

It's originally from Ireland so no not a uk car, does that make a difference ?

Rich
Graham

Audis4b8 wrote:
Graham wrote:
Possible coding issue after a battery change maybe. Is it definitely a UK car and not an import? Even if so I bet nothing that can't be coded.


Hi Graham

It's originally from Ireland so no not a uk car, does that make a difference ?

Rich


I am guessing so. Makes sense it is from different market and the units and measures differ.
Audis4b8

Graham wrote:
Audis4b8 wrote:
Graham wrote:
Possible coding issue after a battery change maybe. Is it definitely a UK car and not an import? Even if so I bet nothing that can't be coded.


Hi Graham

It's originally from Ireland so no not a uk car, does that make a difference ?

Rich


I am guessing so. Makes sense it is from different market and the units and measures differ.


It went into Audi Leeds today for its health check and great news well for me anyway all is ok. Worm rear pads (£260) to replace.
I asked them about updating the satnav under the TSB report but they wouldn't do it and suggested I updated the satnav to rid the problem (£268)

Regarding it not showing mpg and only taking 5 letters in the satnav, they said it can't and won't ever be able to show mpg as its a European spec. I asked if there was any updates available but apparently not....... So just gona have to live with it as it is. Not a major problem if I'm honest just more annoying than anything else.

It's in for some brembo rear pads tmoz so all is good.

I got a price on the rubber grease and lithium grease for sunroof while I was there too £65 for 2 tiny tubes...... Think not lol

Rich
Geoff A

Rich[/quote]
I got a price on the rubber grease and lithium grease for sunroof while I was there too £65 for 2 tiny tubes...... Think not lol
Rich[/quote]


My pan roof used to creak when cold - bought the fancy grease and used sparingly on the rubbers, and its job done. Yes, its kin pricey but it silenced the creaking on mine.
Audis4b8

Geoff A wrote:
Rich

I got a price on the rubber grease and lithium grease for sunroof while I was there too £65 for 2 tiny tubes...... Think not lol
Rich[/quote]


My pan roof used to creak when cold - bought the fancy grease and used sparingly on the rubbers, and its job done. Yes, its kin pricey but it silenced the creaking on mine.[/quote]

I'm with you on that and I would only hope it works for the price lol but I've managed to locate the same materials Audi use but without the Audi branding for about a tenner so I'm going to go with this first then when it doesn't work lol I will then spend the £65 on the propa stuff lol

Can't take the Yorkshire out of a Yorkshire man 😄
Graham

Some solutions you'll not get at the dealership!

I think your mpg is still possible, you just need VCDS (or attend a meet where someone already with will assist).

http://www.audizine.com/forum/sho...386289-Change-MPG-to-L-100KM-How-!

Quote:
[17 - Instruments]
[Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 7
Bit 2-3 – Consumption Display: km/l
Reset MMI settings in “Car->Setup->Settings->Default settings”



Audis4b8

Graham wrote:
Some solutions you'll not get at the dealership!

I think your mpg is still possible, you just need VCDS (or attend a meet where someone already with will assist).

http://www.audizine.com/forum/sho...386289-Change-MPG-to-L-100KM-How-!

Quote:
[17 - Instruments]
[Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 7
Bit 2-3 – Consumption Display: km/l
Reset MMI settings in “Car->Setup->Settings->Default settings”






So it is possible, think I'm needing to come to the next meet then and see if some kinda soul will update it for me.
Any other updates that are a good addition to the standard set up ? I hear there is one for the wing mirrors, when reversing it drops mirrors to check kerbs... That's a must have in my eyes.
Adrian E

Audis4b8 wrote:

So it is possible, think I'm needing to come to the next meet then and see if some kinda soul will update it for me.
Any other updates that are a good addition to the standard set up ? I hear there is one for the wing mirrors, when reversing it drops mirrors to check kerbs... That's a must have in my eyes.


Put the mirror adjust switch on the L mirror position and put in reverse - it should drop. If it doesn't it's a coding change, but most S models I've been in have had it set to do that.
Graham

Adrian E wrote:
Audis4b8 wrote:

So it is possible, think I'm needing to come to the next meet then and see if some kinda soul will update it for me.
Any other updates that are a good addition to the standard set up ? I hear there is one for the wing mirrors, when reversing it drops mirrors to check kerbs... That's a must have in my eyes.


Put the mirror adjust switch on the L mirror position and put in reverse - it should drop. If it doesn't it's a coding change, but most S models I've been in have had it set to do that.


Only with memory seats, unless modified.
Audis4b8

Hi

It's got memory seats so I'm guessing it may have the mirror drop down in place already, will check next time I'm in the car.

Rich

Graham wrote:
Adrian E wrote:
Audis4b8 wrote:

So it is possible, think I'm needing to come to the next meet then and see if some kinda soul will update it for me.
Any other updates that are a good addition to the standard set up ? I hear there is one for the wing mirrors, when reversing it drops mirrors to check kerbs... That's a must have in my eyes.


Put the mirror adjust switch on the L mirror position and put in reverse - it should drop. If it doesn't it's a coding change, but most S models I've been in have had it set to do that.


Only with memory seats, unless modified.
       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S4, S5, RS 5, RS 4 (B8) quattro
Page 1 of 1