Archive for AudiSRS.com The place for Performance Audi
 


       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi Ur quattro
Noggymike

Rare UR Quattro, bringing it back to life......

Always wanted one.











































































No turning back now.






Watch this space........
tino

Subscribed 👍
mikey-s

Game on!
F12KYB

NOW got my eyes on this thread  
Noggymike

Cheers Guys

Mikey, you know who found this gem!  
coullstar

Deep end......

Must be an early one?
mikey-s

Noggymike wrote:
Cheers Guys

Mikey, you know who found this gem!  


I reckon so!   I'm on the lookout for another myself,  preferably a MB.
Noggymike

coullstar wrote:
Deep end......

Must be an early one?


Spot on G

1982.
tino

Car envy .. The only car I'd consider selling RS for . Looks a very early one with quad lights and lhd wiper sweep and those wheels.
Ian_C

Fire up the Quattro!
Noggymike

tino wrote:
Car envy .. The only car I'd consider selling RS for . Looks a very early one with quad lights and lhd wiper sweep and those wheels.


You know your onions!
hiltoa

Ser-weet!!

Helios blue?
davidbell

Good luck with the new purchase Mike, can't wait to see the finished job 👍
Noggymike

hiltoa wrote:
Ser-weet!!

Helios blue?





@David


Thanks.

Between Norm and Steve I can't go wrong!
Weecalum

Nice! Your title says 'bringing it back to life' - it looks in decent shape body work wise from that pic!
cochyn

Schweeet! Living the four ring dream there Noggymike.
pjbRs

Very nice old boy, what's the plan for this one?

more pics needed.  
Stigter

Looks like this one?
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C779348

originally purchased and owned from new by Lord Salisbury.
ScottR

Stigter wrote:
Looks like this one?
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C779348

originally purchased and owned from new by Lord Salisbury.


Given it's the same numberplate, I'd say it probably is that one.  
Stigter

looks like a good project noggymike - crazy to think its 34 years old - what stuff has stood the test of time and what stuff needs sorting?
Norrs2

It's a solid car.  Extremely rare!!

Can't think of anyone better to give it the TLC treatment it deserves!

Well done Mike!!!
Noggymike

@ cochin

Yes indeed, but I bet my single ring will get a bit twitchy during this project!

@ Phil

I have got the car on the basis of opinions from experts in these, so I haven't seen the car in the flesh yet!

Scary, yes, exciting YES!

An action plan for it will be drawn up over the next few weeks or so.


@ Stiger

Spot on!, adds provenance to the car with such an unusual first owner.

@ Norm

Best keep your phone fully charged at all times of day, ready for my impending onslaught of questions!

I'm making the most of the spare time before she lands at Noggy HQ!
Norrs2

Magazine atricle on this very car comes with it Mike. 👍
Professor Peach

Hubba Hubba! When you've finished lavishing a fortune in it Mike, can I buy it for an insultingly insignificant amount please.

Good luck sir! Can't wait to see the results!
Professor Peach

.......and I just showed Mrs Peach the photo and her response was ...... 'oooh, that's nice'. That's almost permission surely!

Then again, we always knew she appreciated the finer things in life!
Noggymike

@ Rob


I am building this car just for Mrs Peach to lust over!






@ Norm

Centrefold?  
Professor Peach

Noggymike wrote:
@ Rob


I am building this car just for Mrs Peach to lust over

:


And I only associate with you for the same reason! 😎
Noggymike

Professor Peach wrote:
Noggymike wrote:
@ Rob


I am building this car just for Mrs Peach to lust over

:


And I only associate with you for the same reason! 😎



Game plan
jockthedog

Please please please don't paint it noggy!

Chuffed for you!
Noggymike

jockthedog wrote:
Please please please don't paint it noggy!

Chuffed for you!



Doh


You spoiled my party piece Doug!
will1981

Noggymike wrote:
jockthedog wrote:
Please please please don't paint it noggy!

Chuffed for you!



Doh


You spoiled my party piece Doug!


Paint it viper green.  
Noggymike

will1981 wrote:
Noggymike wrote:
jockthedog wrote:
Please please please don't paint it noggy!

Chuffed for you!



Doh


You spoiled my party piece Doug!


Paint it viper green.  


You have gone down in my estimations William
will1981

Noggymike wrote:
will1981 wrote:
Noggymike wrote:
jockthedog wrote:
Please please please don't paint it noggy!

Chuffed for you!



Doh


You spoiled my party piece Doug!


Paint it viper green.  


You have gone down in my estimations William


You sound like my wife.
Alps

Congratulations, you absolute nutter.

When do you pick up the car? And when does the work start? And when do you expect it to be completed? Or will it ever be complete?

Looking forward to this
Noggymike

Alps wrote:
Congratulations, you absolute nutter.

When do you pick up the car? And when does the work start? And when do you expect it to be completed? Or will it ever be complete?

Looking forward to this


Thanks Alps,

re A to your Q's

Dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno


HTH!


     
guymcc

Happy days Mike!!!  Going to be a great project for you, and I'm sure the end result will be cracking.  I'm looking forward to see what needs done and how you tackle it.  B5 RS and ur FTW!!!
Norrs2

Some info as to why this car Mike has is rare.

Initially, Audi didn't produce the quattro in RHD.  Early original spec, 'quad lamp' cars were all LHD.  Some early imported cars were changed to RHD, but by institutions such as David Sutton Motorsport.  Not factory cars.

When Audi eventially decided to produce RHD, the quad lamp version was about to be updated with the single headlight (known as the Cibie single lamp), however, there was 17 factory RHD quad lamp cars produced before production switched to the next facelift quattro.  

So these 17 cars are unique early RHD factory cars.  Only about 12 are believed to be still in existence.

To put this in perspective, only 18 SWB Sport quattro's were officially imported to the UK by Audi.  Although they were all LHD, they were distinguishable by having a speedo in MPH, so officially a UK car.

So, in summary, Mike's is rarer than the limited number of SWB Sport cars, in UK official terms.
Hedge

Well done Mike and good luck with the project, my favourite car for 26 years now.
Hedge

Well done Mike and good luck with the project, my favourite car for 26 years now.
Noggymike

Norrs2 wrote:
Some info as to why this car Mike has is rare.

Initially, Audi didn't produce the quattro in RHD.  Early original spec, 'quad lamp' cars were all LHD.  Some early imported cars were changed to RHD, but by institutions such as David Sutton Motorsport.  Not factory cars.

When Audi eventially decided to produce RHD, the quad lamp version was about to be updated with the single headlight (known as the Cibie single lamp), however, there was 17 factory RHD quad lamp cars produced before production switched to the next facelift quattro.  

So these 17 cars are unique early RHD factory cars.  Only about 12 are believed to be still in existence.

To put this in perspective, only 18 SWB Sport quattro's were officially imported to the UK by Audi.  Although they were all LHD, they were distinguishable by having a speedo in MPH, so officially a UK car.

So, in summary, Mike's is rarer than the limited number of SWB Sport cars, in UK official terms.



Norman

You are a constant wealth of knowledge to me on these cars.

The facts speak for themselves.

Glad to have you on board as project manager  
lewiswlawrence

Really looking forward to updates on this, best of luck Mike. This sounds like a car where all the care and time would actually be financially justified!
Noggymike

lewiswlawrence wrote:
Really looking forward to updates on this, best of luck Mike. This sounds like a car where all the care and time would actually be financially justified!



Thanks Lewis
Alps

Noggymike wrote:
Alps wrote:
Congratulations, you absolute nutter.

When do you pick up the car? And when does the work start? And when do you expect it to be completed? Or will it ever be complete?

Looking forward to this


Thanks Alps,

re A to your Q's

Dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno


HTH!


     


Thanks for you answers    
Noggymike

Alps wrote:
Noggymike wrote:
Alps wrote:
Congratulations, you absolute nutter.

When do you pick up the car? And when does the work start? And when do you expect it to be completed? Or will it ever be complete?

Looking forward to this


Thanks Alps,

re A to your Q's

Dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno


HTH!


     


Thanks for you answers    


My pleasure mate
Noggymike

Hedge wrote:
Well done Mike and good luck with the project, my favourite car for 26 years now.



coullstar

No pressure then if its that rare...........
kylebrady

Lovely purchase mate its not noggy though lol
Norrs2

Noggymike wrote:

Norman

You are a constant wealth of knowledge to me on these cars.

The facts speak for themselves.

Glad to have you on board as project manager  


Glad I don't have to do any of the work on it!!  

Delighted to help any way I can mate!
Norrs2

coullstar wrote:
No pressure then if its that rare...........


None at all Graeme! Mike will breeze it!  
Norrs2

kylebrady wrote:
Lovely purchase mate its not noggy though lol


Settle Kyle, it is blue though!  
Noggymike

Norrs2 wrote:
kylebrady wrote:
Lovely purchase mate its not noggy though lol


Settle Kyle, it is blue though!  


kylebrady

I'll post a few pics of my uncles tomorrow
Noggymike

kylebrady wrote:
I'll post a few pics of my uncles tomorrow



Norrs2

So, the plot thickens!

On the rarity topic, as stated there were indeed only 17 of these RHD Quad Lamps made by the factory, but, only 12 actually came to UK, the figure of 17 was worldwide!! (got my wires crossed)

5 went to other RHD markets. Wherever that was!!

More research to do obviously!
coullstar

Japan, OZ and New Zealand.
Norrs2

coullstar wrote:
Japan, OZ and New Zealand.


Most likely one or all of those Graeme!  

All 17 cars built in July 1982.
DavidT

Nice one Mike. I'm looking forward to reading about this
Norrs2

Like you need any inspiration Mike  

madmax2

coullstar wrote:
Japan, OZ and New Zealand.

...South Africa....*cough*
Noggymike

Norrs2 wrote:
Like you need any inspiration Mike  




Correct I don't!


Just like to point out that Norm has just been truly fantastic so far with this project, his work goes under the radar by the masses.

He has all bases covered from tracking down chassis numbers and the history of the car, ordering parts that he knows I will need, sourcing inspections on the car, dealing with my never ending questions and just being on hand to share experiences with these cars.

Quattros are his passion and OMG I am just finding out how much he loves these cars.

Hats off Norm.

Legend.
Noggymike

@DavidT

No worries
kylebrady

Few pics of my uncles  



kylebrady



Norrs2

Alpine White WR - that looks a real cracker Kyle!!
Norrs2

Thanks for the complements Mike!

However, I can't take all the credit regarding history etc, I've had to call upon some other quattro mate's for that!!

Still a massive fan of my B5 too!!
Norrs2

So, another update on the history of these 12 UK cars:-

Finding out about these early RHD cars posed a question for me about the whole first RHD topic.  The sticky in this forum from Phil Payne's website states the first "Official" RHD as Chassis No 85-D-900556.  I checked on the qOC website where they've quoted the same Chassis No, but more complete in that they've added the full number 85-DA900556 in it's correct format.

So, what's going on here I thought!.  The significance of this, is that the Chassis No's starting 'DA' were all built from August 82 (after Mike's with Chassis No starting 'CA') which ended production in July 82.  DA Cars were all facelift models with the single Cibie headlamp, to name but a few changes.

Whist nobody seems to know why Audi did this, the facts are:-

These 17 cars, all built July 82 which are genuine factory RHD, are regarded by Audi as pre-production RHD cars and tagged them "Prototypes".  Hence why Audi lists / recoginse the first "Offical" RHD imported car to be the one mentioned above, which is the later Facelift DA Chassis.

So, in summary, Mike has a prototype RHD quattro.  I've also been informed (by someone who knows more than me) that 10 of the 12 UK cars are known, and Mike's must be another, because the Chassis No of Mike's not previously recorded, and is the highest numerically (to date) and 'could' possibly be the last one of these made.........we will see....I've contacted the guy who has this register to see if he can shed any more light on this car.
Norrs2

On the topic of Prototypes, here's another early UR Prototype ,but this never made production.

4 Wheel Steering:-  (Either that, or my local Kwik-Fit had a bash at the 4-wheel alignment!)

guymcc

Some good stats there Norm!!  you must be flat out at work!! Haha
C J

I echo what guy says norm.
A lot of really interesting info there.
The plot thickens and the value increases! Lol!!
Norrs2

guymcc wrote:
Some good stats there Norm!!  you must be flat out at work!! Haha


It's certainly more interesting mate!!  
Norrs2

C J wrote:
I echo what guy says norm.
A lot of really interesting info there.
The plot thickens and the value increases! Lol!!


    I would tend to agree with that last statement CJ!  
Noggymike

Once again

I sit here reading all this info supplied by Norm thinking OMG, amazing!

Fantastic work Norm.


Myself and Norm are working together on an action plan for this car.

Details to follow.

In the meantime, I have just received the first of many parts for the UR which Norm has hunted down!
tino

Having a surf on the bay the other night found these item no 391127575053 Audi 200 quad h/lamps chrome reflectors look good as they usual aren't, I'd bet they were same on the ur .vrs Northampton page, had some other ur parts listed too .
Norrs2

tino wrote:
Having a surf on the bay the other night found these item no 391127575053 Audi 200 quad h/lamps chrome reflectors look good as they usual aren't, I'd bet they were same on the ur .vrs Northampton page, had some other ur parts listed too .


The Lamps themselves are the same Tino, the surrounds are different.

Lamps on Mike's car are in pretty good nick, but will probably still go for re-chroming.

Always appreciate a heads up on rare parts though - cheers!
Noggymike

Yeah defo support Norm with the thank for the heads up
Noggymike

So





I am travelling to see the UR on Sat.

V nervous/excited tbh.

I have received a fantastic report on the condition of the car from Steve, (you know him well David!) so will be discussing short term plans on the Quattro plus providing Norm with OCD video footage of the car so he can work his magic on sourcing parts.


Watch this space.
TurboHedge

Went with Noggy to see the Quattro...

Great to see the car in the flesh and hear that 5-pot warble. Steve was spot-on and has a real passion for the cars and a wealth of knowledge.

Found a lovely little surprise too... Here's a clue: WRSBMMHM

Norrs2

I could hazard a guess but that'd be cheating!
Markv

Is there a prize for guessing correctly
Noggymike

Markv wrote:
Is there a prize for guessing correctly


No,as you already know you cheeky git!
TurboHedge



Walter Rohl
Stig Blomqvist
Michelle Mouton
Hannu Mikkola
will1981

This is turning out to be a special car Mike, shame they don't make Audi's like they used too!  

More pictures needed....
coullstar

Ace, bet there's not many with that. What a great idea.
davidbell

Noggymike wrote:
So





I am travelling to see the UR on Sat.

V nervous/excited tbh.

I have received a fantastic report on the condition of the car from Steve, (you know him well David!) so will be discussing short term plans on the Quattro plus providing Norm with OCD video footage of the car so he can work his magic on sourcing parts.

He certainly knows his UR's Mike. Good luck with getting the WR back to how she should be 👍

Watch this space.
guymcc

Hi Mike..

Do you have any sun visors for sale.. Any condition, pen marks etc..fine!!!
ScottR

TurboHedge wrote:


Walter Rohl
Stig Blomqvist
Michelle Mouton
Hannu Mikkola


Nothing a good scrub with a decent APC won't sort out. Mike will have it looking brand new in next to no time!  

Reminds me of the time my dad put my last day of high school shirt (which everyone writes stuff on) into the wash.
Norrs2

Another History update on this car:-

A chap in the club has one of these and he's been kind enough to give me some more info, as he has a register of these.

He has 11 of the 12 cars on his list, all believed to be UK cars.  One is now in Malta.  (12th car could be dead or hidden away - nobody knows)

Mike's quattro is the highest chassis no on the register so it's now confirmed as the last know car in the line up.  
Norrs2

will1981 wrote:
This is turning out to be a special car Mike, shame they don't make Audi's like they used too!  

More pictures needed....


It is indeed Will!

Here's one of it cleaned up a bit - as requested:-

guymcc

I've just noticed that the wipers sweep the other way!!  Which in turn made me notice that both wipers have the wind deflector thingy on them.  Seems that most others only have the drivers side wiper with the deflector.  I wonder if the wonky wipers has something to do with this... Something to clarify I suppose!
coullstar

There LHD car wiper set up.
Norrs2

All UR quattro's had LHD wiper pattern until March 1984.
SimonS3

When completed Mike..is it a keeper ?
This car is definately on my top 10 hit list pop picker !
👌
guymcc

Norrs2 wrote:
All UR quattro's had LHD wiper pattern until March 1984.


I wonder why they had both wipers with the aero bit, as it seems the RHD ones only ever came with the one, the drivers one.

Check this one out...

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay728510.jpg
Noggymike

I have the original sales brochure and the pics show both wipers are spoiler free.

I also have a magazine article from 2005, when it shows them in their current format, so no idea is my official answer!

Norrs2

It should have one spoiler on the driver side like Guy says. But, 2 is better!  
guymcc

Norrs2 wrote:
It should have one spoiler on the driver side like Guy says. But, 2 is better!  


Just call me the oracle!  
Ian_C

Norrs2 wrote:
All UR quattro's had LHD wiper pattern until March 1984.

Also known as the "Peugeot we-cannot-be-f*cking-arsed 206" wiper pattern
Noggymike

Ian_C wrote:
Norrs2 wrote:
All UR quattro's had LHD wiper pattern until March 1984.

Also known as the "Peugeot we-cannot-be-f*cking-arsed 206" wiper pattern



Noggymike

So......


A proper update on this project.


I travelled up to see the car last Saturday with Mr TurboHedge as company for the journey to finally see the UR in its full glory.

Had a good 3hrs at Steve's looking round the car, talking to Steve and taking pics and vids so Norm could evaluate what additional parts I needed during the refurb.

Steve had already compiled a fantastic report on the car which we are now actioning in various stages.

Stage 1

Steve will get the engine running and serviced, ie cambelt, waterpump, idler etc etc plus some other ancillary items.

Steve will then remove the engine and I will arrange transportation of the ur + engine to Noggy HQ, where stage 2 will take place.
kylebrady

Looking forward to seeing updates mate
       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi Ur quattro Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3