Archive for AudiSRS.com The place for Performance Audi
 


       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Tuning and Modifications
Nudenut

RS6 C6 Mov'it Ceramic upgrade.

So I finally took the plunge... now I understand that Brakes "should" be the first upgrade before handling and then power but... like most of us power came first and that confirmed to me brakes, as good as they are on the C6, needed upgrading.

After 30-130 and VMax last year I cracked the steel discs, cooked my pads and was lucky that Audi replaced the lot under warranty.

I made my mind up to go Ceramic as I知 booked on track at Oulton Park next week, The Ring week after and Goodwood week after that, add in VMax again and Spa/Ring in October and it was obvious I壇 be replacing the steels again either way.

Decided on the Mov段t Ceramic setup, ok they池e more money but I have the ability to transfer to a future car if I change with just new mounting hats and brackets.

Spoke to Kim Colllins at QST and he in turn spoke to Mov段t about the very best kit for the C6, they proposed Front: Mov段t 396mm x 40mm Ceramic discs with a 6 Pot Billet calliper & Rear: Mov段t 380mm x 32mm Ceramic discs with a 4 Pot mono block calliper with a separate handbrake calliper. Kits were ordered and made up in Germany a delivery date agreed and car went in to QST. The rear knuckles were removed from the car and sent to Mov段t where they were modified for the new setup with additional rear calliper and returned along with all the goodies within 4 days:

Kit as it arrived back:


Fronts:

Rears:


Knuckles:


Add some Ally braided Teflon hoses and away we go - Rears hung with existing calliper becoming HB only:






Fronts:





Wheels back on:









Done about 1k mile now, bedding in process near complete and they are awesome, no issues with feel from cold or when wet as promised and getting used to the massive power with so little pedal pressure.

Thanks to Kim, Mike and Stuart at QST, great guys!!

Will get some car shots on Saturday after a clean I love them and looking forward to reaping the benefit  over the next bust month and onward!!
amanda

Am so jealous Nige  
audimad100

stunning mate, i would need to sell both kidneys and my liver to fund something like that
grizz

Looking good mate
pjbRs

Very nice, i wonder how these perform compared to Auid oem ceramics? Nothing better then having the confidence your gonna stop when needed, unlike my standard S4 brakes when i first got the car.

How do you bed in ceramics?
aka_dk

One word

Mental
Nudenut

pjbs wrote:
Very nice, i wonder how these perform compared to Auid oem ceramics?

How do you bed in ceramics?

Should be a lot better and seem to be so far.

10 to 15 very soft stops (15sec) from 55mph to 10mph then 30 min cool down at 80mph... 3 x that and you are at 20% power. 600miles min gentle stopping, 1500+ for rears to catch up as circa 20% bias rear.
H8CAK

Holy shit awesome
pjbRs

Nudenut wrote:
pjbs wrote:
Very nice, i wonder how these perform compared to Auid oem ceramics?

How do you bed in ceramics?

Should be a lot better and seem to be so far.

10 to 15 very soft stops (15sec) from 55mph to 10mph then 30 min cool down at 80mph... 3 x that and you are at 20% power. 600miles min gentle stopping, 1500+ for rears to catch up as circa 20% bias rear.


Cheers.

what happened with the set that cracked? manufacturing fault?
Billy

I'm in love!

AliGod78

stoooooooooooop!
DavidT

They look horrid! Can I have a passenger lap at our spring event at Oulton Park please?
Nudenut

pjbs wrote:
what happened with the set that cracked? manufacturing fault?

Steel brakes are happier doing short hard stops giving time to cool, hauling the 2 tonne+ barge down from 195mph time after time at VMax in one hard long stop was likely asking a bit much. tbh I hadn't even noticed the cracks (Juice spotted them at MRC RR day) and I had got used to the impaired pad performance until I drove my wife痴 Fiesta and nearly put myself through the screen  

Audi were very good to change them but made it clear it was a once only courtesy under warranty  
Nudenut

DavidT wrote:
They look horrid! Can I have a passenger lap at our spring event at Oulton Park please?

Thanks Dave   of course mate, you're welcome!  
Rasss-4

 im in love  
gdavison

Very nice Nigel .. Glad you went red .. fits the car look really well
AliGod78

Last time I saw breaks (almost) as awesome as those was when I worked for an aviation spare parts company, AJW Aviation. HUGE thinks! Heavy as hell.

sonny

Jesus Wept..now that is JOM (Jerk of material) cant wait to see them at the next meet, and knowing you they will be red hot too haha, nice one.
jimbo

mega wonga.  
Nudenut

So just to update:

Brakes were still retaining a lot of heat on track days, noticed mainly at The Ring but had a full car there and it's a serious test but after a couple of back to back laps I had to take the car for a run down the road to allow the ceramics to cool... so...

Spoke to Movit they suggested BIGGER front discs (390mm to 420mm), BIGGER callipers and install some ducting, sounded like a plan to me, wanted 420's to start but they had to be custom made, no excuse now!

QST ordered up some ducting materials, the discs came in after 6 weeks and we installed them last week and got into the ducting yesterday.

Pics...





Duct scoop from below...



Other side of undertray into flex...



Flexi..



Outlet behind discs...







Thought I'd clean/seal the wheels tonight whilst taking pics...







Happy days... looking forward to The Ring, Spa and ADI now to test good and proper!!
gdavison

I have three things to say



OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


MMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY


GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD


gdavison

Forth  things .. Cracking Clean Rims matey
jimbo

where did your old discs and calipers go nige ???
Nudenut

jimbo wrote:
where did your old discs and calipers go nige ???

Back to Movit I'm afraid Jimbo !!
Nudenut

gdavison wrote:
Forth things .. Cracking Clean Rims matey

You shamed me into that G, thanks!!    
gdavison

Nudenut wrote:

You shamed me into that G, thanks!!


liwi

looking good! Was looking forward to see this
nomad

Thats just brutal. 16.5" discs!!!!
AliGod78



Breaks bigger than some wheels out there!
Graham

Where does the duct end up at the intake end?

We need a side on shot to see how the 420mm disks look under the 21" wheels. What size would the Audi ceramics have been?
Nudenut

Graham wrote:
Where does the duct end up at the intake end?

We need a side on shot to see how the 420mm disks look under the 21" wheels. What size would the Audi ceramics have been?


Hi Graham, 3rd pic, there's a purpose made intake seated into the under tray:

http://i941.photobucket.com/album...ge/Car/Brake%20Ducts/P1040451.jpg

Will post some pics of "wheel on" tonight as only have iPad with me at mo, the OEM are 420mm so I can drop back to 20" wheel when I change car.
iR8V10

You won't be leaving those brakes on it when you change anyway, will you?

Brakes for life them mate!  It's just that any car you have now needs at least 20" rims!
Nudenut

iR8V8 wrote:
You won't be leaving those brakes on it when you change anyway, will you?

Brakes for life them mate! It's just that any car you have now needs at least 20" rims!

Exactly... R8's take a 20" don't they sir??
iR8V10

Oh yes!
supersi

Missed this thread, what a great set up that looks! Well done QST, Any idea of the total weight saving you have made?
Nudenut

supersi wrote:
Missed this thread, what a great set up that looks! Well done QST, Any idea of the total weight saving you have made?

Did work it out once, lost it... if someone lets me know the weight of the std steel set-up I'll get the info from Movit. I can tell you that the difference is considerable in your hands the CC discs weigh next to nout compared to the steel!! You can feel the difference on the road, improved turn-in and lighter feel without the gyro effect and damping of the steel rotors.

QST did a really good job with the ducting, it's all pro race gear but so little room to fit it on a C6, (plus with fussy me standing over thier shoulders) they managed a quality solution and I'm very very pleased with the workmanship!
RS4Jules

OMG them brakes are amazing    
supersi

Nigel .....rs6 c6 steel fronts brakes per side inc disc/caliper/carriers 390mm 21.5kg

info from supermule
robj

That's the way to do it! No fecking about.

Congrats. Super.
Ian_C

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
speedfr38ky

witness the bigness !!!

looks great!
marc1

Wow, they are some serious stoppers. Amazing!
gdavison

speedfr38ky wrote:
witness the bigness !!!



I LoL'd
frazered

amazing

will they fit under std s4 alloys -
Spinner

Serious setup there Nige, Love it!

I'm about to sit the Phantom ducting plates on the S5, did QST look at this or go straight for the 100% bespoke option?

Nudenut

Spinner wrote:
Serious setup there Nige, Love it!

I'm about to sit the Phantom ducting plates on the S5, did QST look at this or go straight for the 100% bespoke option?


Hi matey... yeah looked at this sort of thing trouble is 1) the existing input from front is next to useless so just wouldn't get the flow I'm after so needed to vent from the undertray and 2) Mov段t don't want the shrouds fitted at all as it effects the way the discs use the air flow... plus don稚 have any room at all in there.

That looks pretty smart though!  
Spinner

Makes sense, I'm running the steel RS6 setup and obviously considerably less heat. Hoping this and some Pagid pads will sort out my issues. If not it's over to Mov-it as well but trying avoid the cost if possible!

Anyway enough of the thread hijack, congrats on whats clearly a fantastic setup!
Nudenut

supersi wrote:
Nigel .....rs6 c6 steel fronts brakes per side inc disc/caliper/carriers 390mm 21.5kg

info from supermule

Mov'it 420mm disc, caliper, bracket & pads = 14kg
iR8V10

Nige, I have been quoted 」16k all in for oem front and rear ceramics on the r8 as follows, reckon mov-it would be a cheaper option?

6 pot monoblock front caliper kit
4 pot monoblock rear caliper kit
Front Brake Pads
Rear Brake Pads
Ceramic ventilated front discs (380x38mm)
Ceramic ventilated rear discs (356x32mm)
Brake Servo for Ceramic Discs
Wear indicators
Fitting
Coding of ABS &Airbag ECU's
Spinner

That's it Dave, what did I say about that modding bug getting you again before too long
aka_dk

THEY ARE THE NUTS NIGE !!!

even more scared about getting a pax in your beast now !!!
iR8V10

Spinner wrote:
That's it Dave, what did I say about that modding bug getting you again before too long


It's just a quote matt.  Seems so much considering that they are what 8k to spec on a new build?

Is dearly love ceramics but so many other things on the wish list too!  The bug has bitten already by the way!
Adrian E

iR8V8 wrote:
Seems so much considering that they are what 8k to spec on a new build?


Don't forget if you spec'd them from the factory they wouldn't have fitted the steel setup, so the 」8k is only the price differential they think they can get away with charging.  I would imagine a full set of those parts for a steel setup would be pretty close to 」6k?

From what I recall about the prices I'm not sure Movit would be any cheaper - maybe you wouldn't need a new servo?
Cornishmoocher



 
StumpyRS4

Crackin' Nige.

Dave you're bonkers even considering it. 」16k for a set of brakes?
Nudenut

iR8V8 wrote:
Nige, I have been quoted 」16k all in for oem front and rear ceramics on the r8 as follows, reckon mov-it would be a cheaper option?

6 pot monoblock front caliper kit
4 pot monoblock rear caliper kit
Front Brake Pads
Rear Brake Pads
Ceramic ventilated front discs (380x38mm)
Ceramic ventilated rear discs (356x32mm)
Brake Servo for Ceramic Discs
Wear indicators
Fitting
Coding of ABS &Airbag ECU's

Sorry Dave only just seen this... Movit would be compatible yes... but added bonus of not being car specific in any way.
       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Tuning and Modifications
Page 1 of 1