Archive for AudiSRS.com The place for Performance Audi
 


       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S8 (D2, D3 & D4) quattro
Norrs2

S8 v R8 5th Gear

Did anyone see this last night?  The S8 (D4) totally pasted the R8 V8 in a drag race, and I mean totally!

What's going on with this twin turbo V8?   If anything, the R8 has a slightly better power to weight ratio although still very similar.  Ok, the S8 will have a mountain more torque but surely torque alone doesn't produce quite the performance gap displayed there??  The R8 was out of the game from the off and the S8 left it like a scalded rat!

The yanks claim this engine is producing way more than the 513bhp claimed.  

If it can do that in the A8, this forthcoming RS6 with another '40ps??' will be a total monster.
trizzle899

Re: S8 v R8 5th Gear

Norrs2 wrote:
Did anyone see this last night?  The S8 (D4) totally pasted the R8 V8 in a drag race, and I mean totally!

What's going on with this twin turbo V8?   If anything, the R8 has a slightly better power to weight ratio although still very similar.  Ok, the S8 will have a mountain more torque but surely torque alone doesn't produce quite the performance gap displayed there??  The R8 was out of the game from the off and the S8 left it like a scalded rat!

The yanks claim this engine is producing way more than the 513bhp claimed.  

If it can do that in the A8, this forthcoming RS6 with another '40ps??' will be a total monster.


Unfortunately because I'm out of the country, I didn't see it! I saw this review on youtube a while ago though where they put the S8 on a dyno... the results are pretty nice


Link
BillTheButcher

Bloody hell. 0-60 in 3.5s in stock form.
Adrian E

Wait 5 years and buy one - will be awesome VFM
Marc R

^^ I second that....
Norrs2

BillTheButcher wrote:
Bloody hell. 0-60 in 3.5s in stock form.


I know, almost unbelievable?
Norrs2

Adrian E wrote:
Wait 5 years and buy one - will be awesome VFM


I 3rd it!

Almost 28mpg too with cylinder de-activiation - errr, not likely if you drive it like us lot.
Adrian E

If it betters 15mpg it'll be an improvement on mine lol
Norrs2

Adrian E wrote:
If it betters 15mpg it'll be an improvement on mine lol


It could do better though?
Adrian E

Norrs2 wrote:

It could do better though?


My old-world D2 S8 has never bettered 21mpg in any conditions - gearing is stupidly short for motorway speeds
Norrs2

Adrian E wrote:

My old-world D2 S8 has never bettered 21mpg in any conditions - gearing is stupidly short for motorway speeds


That's quite heavy.  

There's a D3 V10 in my village which I've been promised a go in, I believe she's getting about 12-15 average with that.

Still love the D2 S8 though, getting really rare now.  
Adrian E

Norrs2 wrote:
Adrian E wrote:

My old-world D2 S8 has never bettered 21mpg in any conditions - gearing is stupidly short for motorway speeds


That's quite heavy.  

There's a D3 V10 in my village which I've been promised a go in, I believe she's getting about 12-15 average with that.

Still love the D2 S8 though, getting really rare now.  


Mine's tentatively for sale but haven't put it on here yet, just the a8 forum. The man maths is beginning to fail after 2 years running it with no income!
NYS8D3

Im averaging 19/20 highway on my v10 D3.
steve cane

BillTheButcher wrote:
Bloody hell. 0-60 in 3.5s in stock form.
Sub 3 secs with remap as well!
       AudiSRS.com Forum Index -> Audi S8 (D2, D3 & D4) quattro
Page 1 of 1