AudiSRS.com
 Home  •  Forums  •  New Posts  •  Search  •  Classifieds  •  Insurance  •  Advertisers  •  Shop  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in   •  Join! (free)
 Ur itch/ curiosity View next topic
View previous topic

tino
knowledgeable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:59 pm  Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm toying with the idea of a UR Quattro, possibly a project but it would need to be complete ..preferably a reasonably clean running example .. who's the go to man on these/ web site for info, what's the parts availability like nowadays?
Thanks Martin
confusionhunter
Skilled

Car: whatever works...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cos your RS doesnt give you enough pain....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

got to complete the stable though

knowledgeable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes yes I'm a sadist .. I may need help .. had a b2 Audi coupe when I was 19 loved it then a b3 90 Quattro both were Great cars . Parts availability may put me off but we'll see
Noggymike
Veteran

Car: 2002 B5 RS4
Power: 430 bhp
Torque: Whatever
Engine code: BHP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

tino wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of a UR Quattro, possibly a project but it would need to be complete ..preferably a reasonably clean running example .. who's the go to man on these/ web site for info, what's the parts availability like nowadays?
Thanks Martin

Pm'd

Pm me.
Norrs2
Experienced

Car: B5 RS4, Ur quattro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Noggymike wrote:
tino wrote:
Thanks Martin

Pm'd

He said a project car not a jigsaw puzzle!

88 Pearl White MB ur quattro

A3 Saloon quattro - New daily
A8 D3 3.0TDi quattro - moved on
Norrs2
Experienced

Car: B5 RS4, Ur quattro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

tino wrote:
Thanks Martin

Unless you're handy with the tools, go for the best example you can afford. Oily bits are pretty durable but a tatty body will cost the most to put right.

Early cars and the 20v are the most expensive nowadays so a 85-87 10v WR offers the best bang per buck as it's the most commonly available. Good MB 10v are pretty rare so will be a bit more.  Older models pre 85 are more difficult to get interior parts for as they are even more rare and are different to later cars.

Parts are getting better all the time but exterior and interior trim is still difficult to obtain and usually involves getting used parts that can be restored. New stuff that can be found usually requires a mortgage.  Not much of the mechanical side that can't be sourced and nothing I'm aware of that would keep the car off the road.

To get a proper driving car it will need to have all the bushing on the subframes, diff and suspension done together with a proper 4 wheel alignment or they don't perform as designed. It's about £800 just to get all the proper bushes, so budget a reasonable amount if there's no evidence of a recent refurb of these. No use having been done 10years ago either as they can generally perish, especially when not getting used.

Be weary of cars at dealers because they ask the earth and generally know little of the car's history.  Anything that's recently been painted could be hiding a multitude of sins so without a documented and illustrated view of the repairs that includes all rust being cut out, stay clear!  Although more difficult to find, always try and get an enthusiasts car as it will more likely have a lot of the work done and to a more intimate standard.  I'm sure you know the script!

Fantastic car when they're done properly and very rewarding. 200bhp is nothing these days but when combined with 1250kg and great handling they can still cut it. Sound is epic too!  

Check out the sticky on here to see the model change history.

Any questions, fire away.  

88 Pearl White MB ur quattro

A3 Saloon quattro - New daily
A8 D3 3.0TDi quattro - moved on
Hoyle
knowledgeable

Car: B5 S4
Power: 400bhp
Torque: 423lb ft
Engine code: AGB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The post above pretty much sums up what I was thinking!

I'm no trained mechanic, but have been able to restore and maintain my typ85 80q - essentially the same car without a turbo.

They're fairly easy to work on and the only thing that would keep one off the road would be severe rust / cost of parts required for a major mechanical repair. Look after these cars though and they'll look after you  

My *NEW* S4 thread
Noggymike
Veteran

Car: 2002 B5 RS4
Power: 430 bhp
Torque: Whatever
Engine code: BHP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Norrs2 wrote:
Noggymike wrote:
tino wrote:
Thanks Martin

Pm'd

He said a project car not a jigsaw puzzle!

In think I have all the 4 corners sorted Norm!  

Pm me.
URSTEVE
Brand New, Welcome :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Norrs2 wrote*** Users are not allowed to post clickable links when they first join ***:
tino wrote*** Users are not allowed to post clickable links when they first join ***:
Thanks Martin

Unless you're handy with the tools, go for the best example you can afford. Oily bits are pretty durable but a tatty body will cost the most to put right.

Early cars and the 20v are the most expensive nowadays so a 85-87 10v WR offers the best bang per buck as it's the most commonly available. Good MB 10v are pretty rare so will be a bit more.  Older models pre 85 are more difficult to get interior parts for as they are even more rare and are different to later cars.

Parts are getting better all the time but exterior and interior trim is still difficult to obtain and usually involves getting used parts that can be restored. New stuff that can be found usually requires a mortgage.  Not much of the mechanical side that can't be sourced and nothing I'm aware of that would keep the car off the road.

To get a proper driving car it will need to have all the bushing on the subframes, diff and suspension done together with a proper 4 wheel alignment or they don't perform as designed. It's about £800 just to get all the proper bushes, so budget a reasonable amount if there's no evidence of a recent refurb of these. No use having been done 10years ago either as they can generally perish, especially when not getting used.

Be weary of cars at dealers because they ask the earth and generally know little of the car's history.  Anything that's recently been painted could be hiding a multitude of sins so without a documented and illustrated view of the repairs that includes all rust being cut out, stay clear!  Although more difficult to find, always try and get an enthusiasts car as it will more likely have a lot of the work done and to a more intimate standard.  I'm sure you know the script!

Fantastic car when they're done properly and very rewarding. 200bhp is nothing these days but when combined with 1250kg and great handling they can still cut it. Sound is epic too!  

Check out the sticky on here to see the model change history.

Any questions, fire away.  

If anyone knows more than Norman it would shock me!! Hope your well up there mate!!
I have an Alpine white WR coming up soon not mint but wouldn't kill you to get there. black heated leather and factory a/c.
I shall get some pics on soon!

steve

Share |

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic